The castle was built in the 12th Century by the nobility of Arnen and served as their residence. In 1296 the last of the aristocrats was knighted after which the castle changed hands several times. The remains of the dungeon and the gothic palace, built by the Earls of Mansfeld, can still be seen today. After severe damage received during the Peasant’s War, the castle was renovated by Earl Hover IV, who’s name and crest remain visible. After extensive damage during the 30 Year War, most buildings slowly fell apart.
The last owner (until 1945) was Baron von Knigge. Today the “Homeland Association” stages medieval games, the Easter Fire and other festivals on the site.
Hauptstraße 24, 06543 Harkerode