Visible from far away, the St. Stephan’s Church is a large new gothic Hall church, built of grey sandstone. Over the last century the sandstone has in some areas turned very dark, almost black. Around 1200 the first church was built in Polleben. It was dedicated to the martyr St. Stephan. Because of the size of the town, by 1450 there were 4 smaller churches here. As a result of the industrialisation brought on by the mining industry and the growing number of inhabitants, the town council decided to built a new, large church in the middle of town, to service all. The cornerstone was laid in 1900. The architect to the imperial court Rühlmann from Zörbig, restored and expanded the organ from the old church and placed it into the new one.